Posted on: May 29, 2018
Did you look into your garage one day and suddenly realize you have a messy space that’s overflowing with yard tools, sporting equipment and vehicle fluids and accessories? Whether the accumulation of items happened suddenly or gradually, you can easily clean and organize your garage over a long weekend. Begin by separating everything in the area and sorting them into piles of items you need to keep, want to donate, or want to throw away. Once you’ve decluttered, you can reclaim the space and begin some simple cleaning and garage organization.
Cleaning Hacks for Your Garage Floor
Why should you keep your garage floor clean and remove any stains? By maintaining your garage floor, you keep the space in excellent condition, prevent premature wear and ensure the area is safe for your family. While cleaning unsightly rust, oil and grease stains from your garage will require extra effort, you’ll be impressed with how pristine your garage looks with a clean floor:
- Grease and Oil: There are several methods to remove grease and oil stains. First, you’ll want to remove items from the area and sweep out dirt and debris. Next, you need to absorb the excess oil using a cloth, cat litter or sawdust. Let these sit on the stain for at least 24 hours, then sweep away. Apply a concrete cleaner or a homemade mixture to the stain and let sit for around 45 minutes. You can create a cleaning mixture by combining powdered laundry soap and hot water. Use a stiff-bristled nylon brush to scrub the stain, then hose the area with high pressure.
- Rust: For a natural cleaner, you can use white vinegar and lemons to remove unwanted rust. Squeeze lemon juice or pour white vinegar over the stain and let sit for at least five minutes, then add a bit more lemon or vinegar and scrub vigorously with a scrub brush.
Tips for Garage Organization
Now that you’ve cleaned your garage and decided which items you must keep, it’s time to find a new place for everything:
- Categorize the items you kept. For example: recycling bins, sports and recreational equipment, camping gear, vehicle items, seasonal decor and garden and yard tools.
- Determine where each category should be stored, considering how often you use those items and the space available.
- Install built-in cabinets or modular storage and determine the types and sizes of containers needed to store your items. Use wall-mounted pegboards or wire grids to store tools, sports equipment and gardening tools. Take advantage of overhead garage storage shelves that mount to the ceiling for storing infrequently-used items like camping equipment or seasonal outdoor decorations.
Once you’ve organized your garage, create a quarterly or biannual schedule to maintain your garage organization and remember to promptly put items away after using them.
For All of Your South Florida Garage Door Needs, Call Broten Garage Door Sales Today
If you’re a resident of South Florida, call the experts at Broten Garage Door Sales for all of your garage door installation and repair needs. Since 1955, we’ve been the premier family-owned garage door sales and repair company in South Florida and throughout Palm Beach and Broward Counties. We offer the finest and largest selection of Clopay® residential garage doors in the area and install LiftMaster garage door openers utilizing the latest technology. Schedule garage door services today by completing our online form or call 954.800.2213 to speak to one of our specialists.