Posted on: April 25, 2022
A garage door opener moves the door along a rail with the help of a carriage or trolley. Like all electronics, the motor can begin to fail over time with consistent use. Every time you open and close the door, there’s a small amount of wear and tear. So exactly how long do garage door motors last?
How Often Should You Replace Your Garage Door Opener?
One of the keys to maintaining safety and security for homeowners is understanding the life span of your garage door opener. With typical use, the average garage door opener lasts approximately 7 to 10 years. The actual length of time your garage door motor will last depends on factors like weather conditions, usage, and maintenance.
Some openers can last longer, while others may wear out in less than a decade. Keep in mind that Florida’s harsh weather can take a toll. Even so, you can take several steps to maintain the quality of your door over time, including:
- Visually inspecting the moving parts.
- Lubricating the parts.
- Testing door balance.
- Performing a reversal test.
How Do You Know When It’s Time to Replace Your Opener?
The next natural question is how often you should replace your garage door opener. Even if your door opener is still running after several years it’s safer to replace the opener at the end of its typical useful life rather than waiting for a malfunction.
Keep the following factors in mind when you’re thinking of replacing your garage door opener:
- Safety: Improved safety technology, like doors that unlock with keypads rather than physical keys, can help to keep your home safer. You should replace any garage door manufactured before 1993 because of outdated safety features.
- Technology: Garage door openers from trusted brands like LiftMaster now offer Wi-Fi-enabled features like light control, real-time camera monitoring, and garage door opening and closing, all from your smartphone.
- Noise: Any strange noise, like rattling or loud clanking, is a reason to consider a replacement or at least have a professional evaluate the condition of the motor.
Take Your Garage Door Opener to the Next Level With Broten Garage Door Sales
Broten Garage Door Sales has a wide selection of high-quality garage door openers from LiftMaster. We’ve performed over 15,000 service calls in South Florida with a 98.5% rate of customer satisfaction. To learn more, reach out to our team today.