Which Garage Door Is Best for You?January 12th, 2019 | Posted in Garage Doors
Updated April 20th, 2020
Whether you’re making decisions for your new build home or need to replace an old, broken garage door, you may not know how to pick the right garage door.
The right garage door will add curb appeal to your home and also do all the things that you need from it. Every home and homeowner is different, and there is a wide variety of different garage doors to choose from.
Factors to Consider For Choosing A New Garage Door
Below are some factors to consider when choosing your new garage door.
Size and Style
When you’re shopping for a new garage door, you need to know the size dimensions of your current garage door or the frame. Measure the height, width and thickness. With these measurements on hand, you can confidently purchase your new door knowing it will fit perfectly.
The style will probably have the most significant influence on the garage door you choose. There are several main styles of garage doors, and they can come in a wide variety of colors. Here are the most common garage door styles you can choose from:
- Carriage House: This style gives your home a historical feel. They have horizontal and vertical bars, as well as two diagonal bars. They often also have windows. The carriage house style would look great on a more traditional looking house or a detached garage.
- Short Raised Panels: You’ll see a raised part of the garage door in smaller segments or rectangles. This style gives depth to the garage door and fits perfectly with traditional style homes, like colonials and Tudors.
- Long Raised Panels: Like the short raised, the long raised panels style gives depth to the door, too. The segments are
larger than the short raised panels.
- Flush Panels: This is one of the more subtle styles of a garage door. It is a flat design with a bit of texture to the door. If you live in a modern home where the architecture speaks for itself, this subtle style will bring out the style of your entire home.
- Contemporary and Modern: One of fastest growing styles of garage doors, contemporary and modern style garage doors offer sleek design features to match many popular home styles in the Southeast Florida area. The garage doors can offer features like flush panels and all glass doors.
- Mediterranean: Mediterranean style garage doors are an eclectic design style typically perfect for lavish villa style homes, popular in Southeast Florida. These garage doors often feature rich wood stains and decorative iron-forged hardware.
- Traditional: Traditional garage doors provide owners of many popular home styles in Southeast Florida with a classic and conventional style garage door that can come in steel, natural wood, and wood-look composite overlays
- Wood Look: Wood look garage doors are the perfect combination of the beauty of wood garage doors and durability of steel garage doors. Wood look (or faux wood) garage doors feature realistic and highly detailed wood grain overlays on a durable steel frame garage door.
A few different things will influence the style you pick, but the one you choose should be a style that you love — after all, it’s part of your home, so it should complement your tastes and style.
Along with the different styles, you’ll find various options for materials for your garage door. Here are some common materials used for garage doors:
- Wood: Wooden garage doors are lovely, but they require much more maintenance than other garage door materials. However, the detail can add a great deal of curb appeal to your home.
- Fiberglass: For the look of natural wood without the extra required care, fiberglass is a great pick. With this material, you’ll also get a great deal of durability, which is helpful if you live in an area that sees a lot of inclement weather throughout the year.
- Steel: For a sturdy door that doesn’t require much maintenance at all, consider a steel garage door.
- Glass: High impact glass garage doors, with a variety of glass tints/frosts, offer a beautiful durable modern garage door.
Finally, you need to think about the role of your garage.
- Do you use it more for storage?
- Does it only house your cars?
- Do you use it as a workshop?
- Do you have kids who like to play in it?
The primary function or functions of your garage can help you pick the right door for your needs.
Depending on how you use your garage, you may be looking for certain features, like better insulation or excellent weather seals. Think about how your garage is used to help you figure out if you need anything specific out of your garage door.
If you’re in the market for a new garage door, consider Broten. Our inventory of garage doors has a variety of styles from the best brands.
Notice: Theme without comments.php is deprecated since version 3.0.0 with no alternative available. Please include a comments.php template in your theme. in /homepages/8/d253373436/htdocs/www/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4805